Nutrition Standards for Consumers of Inpatient Mental Health Services in NSW
Providing nutritious food is an important part of caring for people who are staying in mental health hospital units.
Who doesn’t want food that is tasty, appealing, healthy and nutritious and a menu that offers variety and choice? The Nutrition Standards for Consumers of Inpatient Mental Health Services in NSW are based on nutrition requirements and feedback provided by consumers and staff.
Good food is vital to enjoying life, improving physical health and preventing chronic disease which is a risk for some people with a mental illness. There may be co-existing health conditions, such as metabolic syndrome and/or side-effects of medication such as hunger and weight gain.
The Nutrition Standards are here to guide mental health hospital services to plan menus and meals to meet consumer needs and preferences. The food provided is designed to promote health and healthy eating during and after a hospital stay.
Guide for Consumers and Families
Implementing the Standards
- Nutrition Standards Implementation Checklist
- NSW Health LHD / Network Nutrition Care Committee Agenda Template
- NSW Health LHD / Network Nutrition Care Committee Terms of Reference Template
- NSW Health Facility Nutrition Care Committee Agenda Template
- NSW Facility Nutrition Care Committee Terms of Reference Template
- Nutrition Care Committees - Engaging Consumers / Carers
- NSW Health Nutrition Care Policy: Mapping to Accreditation Requirements
- The Menu Review Process - Roles of Key Stakeholders
- Site or LHD/Network Information for Menu Development - Nutrition Care and Food Service Data Checklist
- and 11. Nutrient and Minimum Menu Choice Checklists and Banding Ready Reckoner and Example Menus
About the Standards
Presentations from the launch of the Standards, October 2013
- 2012 Official visitor food audit findings, Regina McDonald, CNC, South Western Sydney LHD
- Essentials of Care (EOC) snacks go live, Deborah Edwards, Nutrition Manager, Diane Grayshon, Registered Nurse, and Heidi Henry, Registered Nurse, Northern Sydney LHD
- Healthy pizza party night, Maria Roberts, Dietitian, and Brigette Lupton, Occupational Therapist, Hunter New England LHD
- Implementing menus to meet the new Nutrition Standards, Corinne Cox, Food Service Dietitian, HealthShare NSW
- Introducing the Nutrition Standards for Consumers of Inpatient Mental Health Services in NSW, Professor Peter Williams, University of Canberra
- Official Visitors program statewide review of food in mental health units, Elayne Mitchell, Team Leader, NSW Official Visitors Program, and Regina McDonald, CNC, Sydney LHD, South Western Sydney LHD and HammondCare
- Physical health and mental health, Commissioner John Allan, Mental Health Commission of NSW
- Promoting dialogue and recovery through a self-catering program, Brad Roser, CNC Rehabilitation, Justice & Forensic Mental Health Network