Improving the experience of hospitalisation for people with intellectual disability
Watch Daniel's story and his experience of hospitalisation. In this video 'Improving the experience of hospitalisation for people with intellectual disability'.
Walking in Daniel’s shoes
This is a story about Daniel. His mother Nicole is speaking about his experience of hospital.
- Imagine what emotions Daniel would be feeling as he comes into hospital.
- Imagine if Daniel was your son.
- How would you feel with each hospital admission?
- What would you want the hospital staff to understand about Daniel?
- How do you think the staff could really help you and Daniel?
- Thinking about Daniel’s discharge from hospital back into his community, what is important for Daniel and his Mum?
As a staff member
- If you met Nicole in the corridor tomorrow, what would you say to her about the video?
- Based on what you have learned from watching this video:
- What will you do differently?
- How will you make this happen?
- Who are the key people where you work who could give you help and advice when Daniel comes to hospital next time?
- Thinking about Daniel’s discharge from hospital back into his community, what needs to happen?