Clinical Best Practice Working Group
The Clinical Best Practice Working Group was established to provide the opportunity for key expert clinicians to develop and coordinate the implementation of best practice, with the goal to reduce clinical practice variation within Intensive Care and High Dependency Units across NSW .
Responsibilities / functions
- Liaise with Performance working party in regards to sub-optimal patient outcomes (for example adverse events) and clinical practice variation
- Identify priorities for statewide guideline development
- Develop statewide clinical practice guidelines
- Function as the intensive care clinician review group for ACI network and guidelines
Frequency of meetings
- Sarah Jones, Clinical Nurse Consultant ( CNC ) St George ICU , South Eastern Sydney LHD
- Dr Nhi Nguyen, Senior Staff specialist, Nepean ICU , Nepean Blue Mountains LHD
The Clinical Best Practice working group have identified two practice priorities for 2014-2016.
Physical Activity and Movement guideline
Appropriate blood tests
Patients in intensive care and hospitals as a whole, have many diagnostic and surveillance tests ordered. Some of these tests are necessary for the ongoing management of the patient. However there are also many tests which are repeated more often than clinically required, as they are considered as 'routine order set'. Further, some tests performed are not followed up especially if the patient has been transferred out of the intensive care unit.
- Development of definition of what routine testing includes in intensive care.
- Development of routine testing guidelines for intensive care (test order sheets), that meet the clinical needs of the patient.
- Publication of a point prevalence study post implementation of the routine testing guidelines.
- Report on cost benefits of the alteration in practice.
|Name||Position||Local Health District||Facility|
|Atul Gaur||Staff Specialist||Central Coast||Gosford|
|Lyndal Rodgers||A/ CNC||Western NSW||Orange|
|Colette Foudy||Nurse Educator||South Eastern Sydney||St George - Private|
|Dimity McCracken||Post Graduate ICU Fellow||Northern Sydney||Royal North Shore|
|Doris Lam||Staff Specialist||South Eastern Sydney||St George|
|Elizabeth Fugaccia||Staff Specialist||Sydney||Concord|
|Erin Tuala||CERSCNS||Sydney Eye|
|Fiona Shields||Staff Specialist||Western NSW||Orange|
|Jennifer Hall||CNC - Liaison||Hunter New England||John Hunter|
|Jonathan Gatward||Staff Specialist||Sydney||Royal Prince Alfred|
|Karena Conroy||Research Officer||ACI||ICNSW|
|Kaye Rolls||Clinical Project officer||ACI||ICNSW|
|Kelvin Smith||CNC||Hunter New England||John Hunter|
|Kristy Wilson||CNE||Southern NSW||Goulburn|
|Kylie Pleming||CNC||Murrumbidgee||Wagga Wagga|
|Lauren Thomas||Physiotherapist||Hunter New England||John Hunter|
|Leanne Redfern||NE||Hunter New England||Newcastle-Private|
|Maree Frogley||CNE||Northern NSW||Lismore|
|Marghie Murgo||CNC||Sydney||Royal Prince Alfred|
|Natalie Govind||RN / Academic||Central Coast||Gosford|
|Nhi Nguyen||Staff Specialist||Nepean Blue Mountains||Nepean|
|Rebecca Black||Senior Speech Pathologist||St Vincent's Health Network||St Vincent's|
|Sarah Jones||CNC||South Eastern Sydney||St George|
|Sue Lamb||CNC||Central Coast||Gosford|
|Sumesh Arora||Staff Specialist||South Eastern Sydney||Prince of Wales|
|Wendy Chaseling||Physiotherapist||South Eastern Sydney||St George|
|Yoni Cross||CNS||Central Coast||Gosford|