NSW Trauma System Research Grant Scheme 2020
Applications for research funding – trauma in older patients
Deadline for applications extended till 30 April 2020
The NSW Institute of Trauma and Injury Management (ITIM), a network within the Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI), is the peak clinical advisory body for trauma system monitoring and evaluation in NSW. As part of ongoing initiatives to develop and improve the NSW trauma system, ITIM provides focused research grants for trauma clinicians to undertake research and analyses that looks at new ways to improve trauma care and improve our understanding of trauma. These projects grants are designed to:
- facilitate ongoing collaboration across the trauma system
- increase research capacity among clinical teams caring for trauma patients
- increase the likelihood of further funding through other competitive research grant schemes.
In 2020-21 the priority area is severe injuries in the older population (age>75 years of age), including older patients with major trauma from low velocity impact, severe injuries in general, frailty, falls prevention or management of severe injuries such as head, chest or pelvic trauma. For this round, proposals that involve a multi-centre prospective, translational or injury prevention studies, particularly those already piloted or developed across a number of facilities, will be prioritised.
A total funding pool of $60,000 is available to fund this research grant scheme. Only one project will be supported in this funding round. In addition to funding, in-kind support from ITIM is also available for the provision and analysis of data. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate plans for continuation of the study based on other sources of funding such as a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) partnership grant.
Applications will be assessed in a blind review process and short-listed by members of the ACI executive. Successful applicants will be required to enter into a funding contract with the ACI. They will also need to present regular progress reports to the ACI and present or publish the project at relevant scientific meetings.
- Research must be related to older trauma patients and conducted in NSW
- The team conducting the research has a proven track record in trauma research or quality improvement
- A clear research goal and established research plan is in place
- There is a likelihood of the project improving the relevant priority area.
- A demonstrated plan for attracting other sources of funding for continuation of the work, such as an NHMRC partnership grant
- Priority will be given to multidisciplinary, multi-centre and translational or injury prevention studies, as well as studies that have already been launched across numerous facilities.
- Applications open on 20 February 2020
- Applications close on 30 April 2020
- The successful grant will be announced on 15 May 2020
- Funding contracts finalised on 30 May 2020.
Submissions will only be accepted using the application form.
Please email completed applications to Dr Pooria Sarrami, ITIM Research Fellow, at Pooria.Sarrami@health.nsw.gov.au by the due date.